Jan 11, 2012

Rebuilding the door locks

I did a complete step by step which I posted on the HAMB as well to help out someone else http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifdoing the same process.

Rebuilding

I started with removing the springs (most were broken) and sandblasting the latches



Then I disassembled the latches and painted them, nothing too difficult here, the pin holding the catch needs to be driven out with a punch. The lever needs to be freed from the assembly, which I did by bending the outer tab a bit.



First the big spring gets put on the lever like so



Then placed in the latch assembly



I then used a small bench vise and a socket to press it back together.



The door lock spring goes in like so



Now it's time for the latch spring and drive rivet



I used the same small vise to flatten out the bottom of the drive rivet.



And here is the completed assembly ready to be installed. The spring tab sticks out for a reason, and the assembly may feel weak or loose - this is resolved shortly.



Oil or grease the springs and any moving parts to allow for easy movement and eliminate squeaks & rattles.



INSTALLATION

This is the latch ready to be installed, note the spring tab sticking out.



Push the spring tab in the door with a big screwdriver (or whatever)



Everything should push in now, then just put your screws in and enjoy your new latches.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see some progress
    after all those months......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for staying tuned. I know I took a bit more time off than expected but I think I am back on track again.

    Regular life is back in order so I am back in the game.

    ReplyDelete