Jan 14, 2010

Converting to mechanical fuel pump

When this project rolled into the garage it had an electric fuel pump and no way to put a mechanical one on due to the engine mounts, engine height, frame distance, etc. Well, a couple posts back I created new mounts and changed the way the engine sat and now I can fit in a mechanical pump, all to do now is get it and put it in.

Except I forgot that SBC mechanical fuel pumps are not my forte so it took a little more legwork than it should. I ordered the pump from Summit and of course it was here next day, but I didn't realize I needed a fuel pump pushrod - not a big deal so I ran out to the local auto parts and grabbed one, which they were stunned to see leave the store apparently it had been there for years. When I got home i realized that since I had a block off plate before and the new pump was a different shape that I needed a fuel pump mounting plate - back to the parts store, which was fine since I wanted new hardware too.









No comments:

Post a Comment